The council serves in an advisory capacity to the Secretary of DOEA in assisting him with carrying out the purposes, duties, and responsibilities of DOEA, as specified in this Section 430.05, Florida Statutes. The council makes recommendations to the Secretary, the Governor, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the President of the Senate regarding organizational issues and additions or reductions in the department's duties and responsibilities. The advisory council is an independent nonpartisan body and are not subject to control, supervision, or direction by the department.
The advisory council is composed of one member appointed by the Governor from each of the state's planning and service areas, which are designated in accordance with the Older Americans Act, two additional members appointed by the Governor (at-large), two members appointed by the President of the Senate, and two members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
The advisory council meets quarterly, and the members of the advisory council do not receive salary, but are entitled to reimbursement for travel and per diem expenses.
- Created by section 430.05, F.S.
- The council shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Secretary of Elderly Affairs to assist in carrying out the purposes, duties, and responsibilities of DOEA. The council may make recommendations to the Secretary, Governor, Speaker & Senate President regarding organizational issues & additions or reductions in DOEA’s duties & responsibilities.
- The Governor appoints one member from each Planning & Service Area from a list of three nominations submitted by the Area Agency on Aging, plus two additional at-large members.
At least one of the three nominees provided by the Area Agency shall be 60 or older, and a majority of the members of the Council shall be 60 or older.
The Legislative Branch must appoint four members to the Council, with two representing the House, and two representing the Senate.
The following summarizes the composition of the 17-member Council:
- Eleven members from the Planning and Service Areas
- Two at-large members
- Two members representing the House
- Two members representing the Senate
PSA 1- Neil Davis
PSA 2- Dorothy Bless
PSA 3- Allison Thall
PSA 4- Mary â€śMariâ€ť Terbrueggen
PSA 5- Charles Robinson
PSA 6- Ellen Campbell
PSA 7- Fran Carlin-Rogers
PSA 8- Kathleen Houseweart
PSA 9- Pat Sacco
PSA 10- William Edelstein (Chair)
PSA 11- Olga Connor
At - Large- Major Stroupe
At - Large- Dr. Mohammad Choudhry
Senate President Appointments:
Speaker of the House Appointments: